To be admitted to Sunrise Haven for Christian Science nursing care, a patient must:
- Rely fully on God for healing through the practice of Christian Science
- Work actively with a Christian Science practitioner listed in The Christian Science Journal
- Be free from the use of over-the-counter and/or prescribed medications, vitamins and dietary supplements
- Designate someone as his/her representative while staying at Sunrise Haven
To apply for admission, call us at 253-813-2096, or toll-free at 1-800-641-1718. Please review this information before calling
The following documents and information are needed upon check-in:
- Social Security number (and Social Security card, if possible)
- A picture identification card (such as a driver’s license or passport)
- If applicable, a Medicare card
- An insurance card, if applicable
- An Advance Directive and/or Power of Attorney document, if applicable (Washington state)
Advance Directive and Power of Attorney
The term “advance directive” refers to an individual’s oral and written instructions about future health care in the event that he/she is unable to express his/her wishes. For a Christian Scientist, having such a document prepared and in effect prior to a time of need is recommended.
There are two types of advance directives:
- A health care directive (also known as a living will)
- A durable power of attorney for health care
Personal items to bring
- We recommend bringing clothing for up to four days. Please bring clothing that can be laundered in our washers/dryers (no dry cleaning, please).
- Personal care items, such as a toothbrush, hairbrush, preferred toothpaste, etc.
- Study materials (i.e., CS and Bible study books, a notepad, a headset). We have an extensive library of study books and Christian Science periodicals, and an audio system that plays the Bible Lesson, Mrs. Eddy’s writings, hymns and other suitable programs throughout the day.
- Please do not bring valuables, such as jewelry or cash.
- Please do not bring food or snacks. Our kitchen staff provides appealing, nutritious meals and regular snacks, and will ensure that the patient’s needs are met.
Admissions Questions for Patients
- Name and phone number of the patient’s Journal-listed Christian Science practitioner.
- What kind of care does the patient need right now?
- Does the patient have a Medicare card? What is the number?
- Has the patient ever used his/her Medicare card (for eyeglasses, wheelchair, etc.)?
- Has the patient been in the hospital recently? (Name of facility and date of stay)
- Does the patient have any type of health insurance?
- Does the patient have a medical history?
- What is the patient’s Social Security number?
- If the patient has a Power of Attorney document, Sunrise Haven will need a copy of it, but appointing a Power of Attorney is not a requirement for admission.
- Who is the designated representative during the patient’s stay at Sunrise Haven?
- Does the patient need financial assistance for his/her stay at Sunrise Haven?
Admissions Statement of Understanding
Individuals are asked to acknowledge their understanding that the care provided at Sunrise Haven, is intended to be entirely consistent with the practice of Christian Science, by completing the Sunrise Haven Admissions Statement of Understanding. Click here.
Our MissionChristian Science nursing
inspiring, loving, and healing
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST