Christian Science Nursing Care FAQs
What is Christian Science nursing?
Christian Science nurses provide skilled, physical nursing care for individuals relying on God for healing through the practice of Christian Science. Find out more in the Scope of Services of Christian Science nursing.
How does someone get admitted to Sunrise Haven?
Please call us anytime, day or night, at 253-813-2096 or 800-641-1718. Be sure to review the detailed information about Admissions.
- Admittance to Sunrise Haven requires an individual to:
- Rely fully on God for healing through the practice of Christian Science, and expect to be healed.
- Work actively with a Christian Science practitioner listed in The Christian Science Journal.
- Be free from the use of over-the-counter and/or prescribed medications, vitamins and dietary supplements.
- Designate someone as his/her representative while staying at Sunrise Haven.
Does healthcare insurance cover Christian Science nursing?
Some insurance companies cover Christian Science treatment and/or Christian Science nursing care. Contact your company or insurance provider to find out if this type of coverage is included in your policy.
Is Medicare coverage available?
Yes. Sunrise Haven is a Certified Medicare Provider and accepts Medicare Part A for inpatient Christian Science nursing services. Here is information about Medicare at Sunrise Haven. Our business manager works regularly with Medicare and can answer your questions. For more information and/or for a copy of Medicare requirements, please email email@example.com or call 253-813-2096 ext. 4.
Why do you ask for a medical history during the admissions process?
A medical history is required by Medicare, and helps us address every aspect of your care while you are a patient at Sunrise Haven. Having a medical history does not prevent you from being admitted.
Will I have a room to myself?
Yes. You will have a private room with a private bathroom. Tour our photo gallery
What if my practitioner is not listed in The Christian Science Journal?
Actively working with a Christian Science practitioner who is listed in The Christian Science Journal is a requirement for admission to Sunrise Haven.
Do I have to be a member of The Mother Church or of a branch church or society?
No, church membership is not a requirement for admission to Sunrise Haven.
How long can I stay at Sunrise Haven?
There is no time limit on a patient’s stay, although Christian Science nurses expect quick and complete healing.
Can I have visitors?
Yes. Anyone you wish to see is welcome to visit. We appreciate knowing ahead of time when you expect visitors. Children are welcome and there is a lovely park next door, which they are free to enjoy while they’re here.
Can a family member spend the night?
Yes. There are overnight accommodations for family members for a minimal fee and based on available space.
How can I obtain a copy of your Federal Tax Exempt Status letter and tax forms?
May I read Sunrise Haven’s bylaws and financial statements?
How is Sunrise Haven funded? May I donate?
Sunrise Haven is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization registered in the State of Washington. It is funded by individual donations, grants and bequests. (Fees charged to patients and guests at Sunrise Haven do not cover operating expenses.) Donations are needed and greatly appreciated in any amount and at any time.
How can I learn practical skills that will help me take care of family or friends at home?
Sunrise Haven offers training to branch church members, small groups and to individuals, including a workshop titled, “Discovering the Comforter Within”. This training includes:
- Ethics and metaphysical concepts regarding care.
- Preparing foods for one who needs assistance with meals.
- Basic lifting techniques and the use of mobility aids.
- Helping an individual move safely and comfortably to a chair, church pew, car seat, or up and down stairs.
Other workshops and personalized training are available, too. Read more here.
FAQs about Christian Science Nurses Training
What are the requirements to enter a Christian Science nurses training class?
- Membership in The Mother Church.
- Membership in a branch church or society.
- Testimonies, including physical healings, of how you have used Christian Science in your own life, demonstrating your understanding and clear practice of Christian Science.
- Primary class instruction in Christian Science.
- Ability to read, write and speak English clearly.
What should I expect when taking a Christian Science nursing course?
You will develop your innate ability to nurse, including the metaphysical clarity and the practical skills necessary to fulfill the Manual Bylaw, Christian Science Nurse. Class assignments and in-depth concordance work will help focus and inspire you to see nursing in a new light. You’ll be introduced to the foundational standards, ethics, judgment, and skills necessary for the healing ministry and practice of Christian Science nursing. Completing all the courses is excellent preparation for listing in The Christian Science Journal.
Is financial assistance or employment available to those interested in Christian Science nurses training?
- Yes. The Albert Baker Fund – provides financial assistance
- We would be happy to talk to you about employment opportunities.
Is there a step I can take to explore Christian Science nursing without making a long-term commitment?
A short introductory course is a good way to explore Christian Science nursing. There are two possible steps you can take:
- A one-day seminar, called The Spiritual Dimension of Care.
- A Sunrise Haven online course, entitled “Introduction to Christian Science Nursing.” This is only offered to members of The Mother Church.
Can experienced Christian Science nurses take a class?
Yes. Sunrise Haven offers refresher courses as an opportunity to improve unused or rarely used skills. Taking a refresher course often fosters a spirit of freshness, progress and joy in a Christian Science nurse’s individual ministry.
Does Sunrise Haven have a posted training schedule?
No. We offer one-on-one training on a mutually agreeable schedule. Training classes can begin at any time.
Is Sunrise Haven’s Christian Science nurses training program accredited?
Yes. The Le Verger/Sunrise Haven Accredited Program has been accredited by The Commission for Accreditation of Christian Science Nursing Organizations/Facilities, Inc.
Our MissionChristian Science nursing
inspiring, loving, and healing
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST